Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Will I Have to Repay the Subsidy?

By on | No Comments

Question: If I am on Covered California or even Medi-Cal for part of the year and then I get hired for a full time position with income that exceeds the income limit for Covered California will I need to pay back the benefits I received during the first part of the year or pay a penalty?

Answer: You will have to repay some or all of the premium assistance you drew when you file your tax return for that year. If your income remains within the subsidized range, the amount of the federal tax clawback is limited to a maximum of $2,600. If your income exceeds $49,500 individual $100,500 family), the tax credits you received must be repaid in full. If you are covered by Medi-Cal, no repayment will be required regardless of subsequent income.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.