Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Enrollment of 20-Year Old Dependent?

By on | No Comments

Question: I've read through the archives, but I need clarification regarding a dependent and what to include in the household income in the application. I am 20 and going to school full-time. My mother's group plan is not covered in the county that I am in, but I am working part-time. Would I be able to apply for just myself as a household of 1? or do I need to include them in my application? I am still being claimed as dependent, but will be filing my own taxes.

Answer: Yes. You can enroll as a single-person household based on your own income. You must file a tax return and claim your personal deduction. Your mother can no longer claim you as a dependent starting in 2020. If your projected income is less than $17,000 in 2020, you will be enrolled in Medi-Cal.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.