Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Adult Child Dependent Status?

By on | No Comments

Question: I was told that my 25 year-old daughter had to be a dependent on my taxes. I thought she could stay under my Covered California plan until she is 26 years old.

Answer: Your adult child can file their own tax return and still be included on your family coverage to age 26. If your family is eligible for premium assistance through Covered California and you wish to include your daughter as part of your household, she must be a dependent on your income tax return. She will still file a tax return, but opt out of her personal exemption.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.