Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

How to Report Dependent Income?

By on | No Comments

Question: My son lives at home and and works part-time. This year, he must file a tax return for $9,000 income. I currently take a deduction on my taxes for him. My question is this, is it okay to list him as a dependent if he files his own tax return?

Answer: Your dependent can opt out of his personal deduction when filing his income tax return. This will allow you to continue to claim him as a dependent, but you must include his $9,000 to your household income. If he wants to keep his personal deduction, he must apply for coverage as a one-person household. His income of $9,000 makes him eligible for Medi-Cal. In that case, you would not include his income in your household.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.