Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Include Adult Child in Household or Not?

By on | 2 Comments

Question: My family of four gets subsidized Covered California insurance. My 24 year-old son is included in our household. He earned about $9,000.00 this year. Will we be penalized on our taxes for 2017? Should he enroll for 2018 for his own plan?

Answer: Your son must file his own tax return for 2017 since his income was over $6,300, but you can continue to include him in your household if you wish. When he files his tax return for 2017, he can opt out of his personal exemption. If so, all you have to do is update your Covered California household account to include his income. The added income will reduce your premium assistance, so you will pay some added tax for 2017. If he takes his own personal exemption for 2017, you must update your CC account by removing him from your household. This will reduce your household size to three going forward, but you do not have to include his income. You will have added taxes to pay for the 2017 tax year, because your tax credits were based on a four person household. You will probably need an accountant to figure out which path leads to the best financial outcome for your family.


Current retired county insurance is excluded from ACA with less than $24,000 in annual income. Whal if child in college reaches age 26 before June 1, 2018 and has very little income less than $10,400 but is in college?

If you are under age 65 and single and earned less than $10,400 in 2017, then you are not required to file a personal tax return. However, there may be a financial benefit by doing so.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.