Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Avoid Subsidy Overpayment?

By on | No Comments

Question: My income went up during the year, si I guess I’ll have to pay some of the subsidy back. How do they handle that?

Answer: If you are paid too much premium assistance during the year, the IRS will recover some of it through your tax return. The subsidy overpayment is added to your taxes due for the year. You can avoid having to repay excess premium assistance in several ways.

    • If your income increases during the year, update your Covered California account to reflect the income change and your subsidy will be reduced going forward.
    • You can elect to take less premium assistance on a monthly basis or
    • you can take all of your premium assistance in a lump sum at the end of the year.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.