Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

September 2017 Archives

Question: I’m 61 and receive Medicare as I’m permanently disabled. Currently I am paying $200 out of my $1000 social security income towards my Kaiser Senior Advantage, plus high co-pays. My income is very low (social security only) but I do have assets that I am spending down to augment my income. Can I qualify for Medicaid as well based on income only?

Answer: Medicare beneficiaries in California who have limited income and resources may get help paying for their premiums and out-of-pocket medical expenses from Medi-Cal. Medi-Cal also covers additional services beyond those provided under Medicare, including nursing facility care beyond the 100-day limit or skilled nursing facility care that Medicare covers, prescription drugs, eyeglasses, and hearing aids. Services covered by both programs are first paid by Medicare with Medicaid filling in the difference up to the state’s payment limit.

Income limit: The Medi-Cal income limit is calculated as 100% of the federal poverty level (FPL), which changes every year. The current limit is $11,880/yr per individual and $16,020/yr for a couple.

Assets: Individuals may own assets worth no more than $2,000; married couples may own $3,000 worth. But not all assets are included in the count. Exempt assets include:

  • A primary home
  • One vehicle
  • Household items
  • Personal belongings including clothing, heirlooms, and wedding and engagement rings.
  • Burial plots and any money in a designated burial plan fund
  • Life insurance policies and the balance of pension funds, IRAs, and certain annuities

Out-of-Network Consequences?

By on | No Comments

Question: I went to a doctor who is not in my health plan’s network. What now?

Answer: PPO plans cover some of your out-of-network medical expense. HMO and EPO plans cover only emergency non-network expenses. Generally plans that provide an out-of-network option cover such care at a lower rate, for example a Silver Plan covers 80% of in-network costs after deductible versus only 50% of non-network costs after deductible. In addition, the out-of-network deductible is twice as much as the in-network deductible, $5,000 vs $2,500 for Silver plan. Finally, the annual out-of-pocket maximum for the Silver Plan in-network id $6,800, meaning you are covered 100% after your out-of-pocket expenses on covered items reaches $6,800 in a calendar year. The annual out-of-pocket maximum for the Silver Plan out-of-network is $9,800 and it’s separate from the in-network maximum.

Add Dependents to SHOP

By on | No Comments

Question: Can dependents be added to SHOP plans?

Answer: Most employer-sponsored health plans offered through the Covered California SHOP include spouse and dependent coverage, but the employer has the option to offer employee-only coverage. Dependents can be added at the plan's open enrollment period each year. A newborn can be added within 60 days of birth.

Moving to CA?

By on | No Comments

Question: I am moving to CA from NY in mid October. (1) When should I apply for health insurance in CA? My family may qualify for Medi-Cal or other subsidized programs. (2) Would the effective date be the exact date of the move, for example, October 15? Or, would I be covered by my NY plan until October 30, then start my CA coverage on November 1?

Answer: You must be a California resident to apply, so apply as soon as you have a California address. Apply through Covered California to determine your eligibility for premium assistance or Medi-Cal. Typically, your NY health insurance coverage will expire at the end of the month and your CA coverage would start on the first of the next month.

Buy Outside Of Covered California?

By on | No Comments

Question: Am I able to buy health insurance outside of Covered California, or do I have to buy from one of the providers under CC? Additionally, will Covered California eventually become the only health insurance marketplace in California?

Answer: Yes. You can buy health directly from state licensed health insurance carriers (off-exchange) without going through Covered California. Covered California is the sole source of subsidized coverage based on income. Covered California is unlikely to become the only health insurance marketplace in California.

Question: I am under Asylum Processing for about 90 days now ,and I want a medical insurance, However right now I dont have SSN or a ID ,just passport from China, how do I get a medical insurance?

Answer: I recommend International Travel Insurance which you can purchase as a Chinese citizen. You can get coverage for a limited period of time while in the United States. You select the length of time, but 90-days is no problem. The plan covers pre-existing conditions only in the case of acute onset. You can pick your deductible and coverage limits depending on your budget. Cost of overage is very reasonable. Click here for a quote Under Patriot Travel Medical Insurance, select Patriot America

Spouse Not Covered by Employer

By on | 1 Comment

Question: Both my spouse and I are insured through Covered California. My job is offering me 100% medical coverage but nothing for my spouse. Are they eligible to still go through CA for insurance?

Answer: If your spouse has access to coverage through your employer, he or she is no longer eligible for subsidized coverage through Covered California even though the employer makes no contribution toward the spouse's coverage. If your employer-sponsored coverage is not offered to the spouse and dependents, then he or she is still eligible for subsidized coverage.

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.