Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Minor Needs Coverage for a Newborn?

By on | No Comments

Question: I'm 17, I'll be having my baby late July. As a minor, how can I apply for health insurance for me and my kid? Im currently unemployed and wont be able to work until next year. I also wont be turning 18 until 7 months after my baby is born. Im under my moms health insurance at the moment.

Answer: You can stay on your Mom's insurance and your newborn can be insured independently for about $150/mo with any health insurance company in California. If that rate is unaffordable, Medi-Cal is free if you qualify. Click here for ways to apply for Medi-Cal.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.