Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

February 2017 Archives

Question: It is February now. We just found out a doctor that we have been seeing does not accept our plan this year. Can I change my plan to another carrier now?

Answer: If your insurance carrier listed your doctor within their provider network in error, then you are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP). That means you can choose another health insurance carrier that includes your doctor.

Question: We are married but filing separately. Do we apply Medi-Cal or Covered CA separately also? or must be together?

Answer: You must apply as a couple, but because you file taxes separately, you will not be eligible for premium assistance through Covered California. Your tax filing status will not matter if you are eligible for Medi-Cal coverage based on your income.

Adding Out-of-State Children?

By on | No Comments

Question: My kids mother and I are divorced. I live in California and she lives in Tennessee. As part of our child support agreement she would like for me to add our kids to my covered California insurance even though they live with her for most of the year. I currently have Kaiser. Will it be possible to add them to my plan even though they live in another state?

Answer: No. (1) Your children are not California residents. (2) Kaiser Permanante has no doctors or facilities in Tennessee.

Need PPO Insurance?

By on | No Comments

Question: I recently lost my disability income and therefore lost my subsidy for PPO. I was given Medical but they only cover 4 out of my 15 medications and my doctors are not in their network. How can I purchase a PPO insurance on my own? It has taken my doctors 3 years to get me stable, I can't go back to near death over insurance dilemmas. I need to get my medications and the cash cost is over $2k per month! Please help!

Answer: You can shop, compare, and buy California individual health insurance at https://www.cahba.com.

Visitor Insurance?

By on | No Comments

Question: My parents will be visiting me for 4 months this year. Can I purchase health coverage for the duration of their visit through Covered California?

Answer: No. Your parents will not be eligible for coverage through Covered California while they are visiting. California residency is required. The best option for your parents is International Medical Insurance.

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.