Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Married Filing Separately?

By on | No Comments

Question: I am married but file separately for taxes. My spouse does not wish to apply for Covered CA for since they are covered by their University's coverage. Do I include them in current monthly household income? We have separate bank accounts. Also, I do not currently work. I am full-time in grad school and only have student loans/grants. Do I include these loans/grants in my monthly household income?

Answer: If you file taxes as "Married Filing Separately", you are not eligible for premium assistance (subsidy). Your grant and student loan income are not taxed as income, so your taxable income appears to be $0, making you eligible for Medi-Cal. If you choose not to enroll in Medi-Cal, you can purchase individual health insurance directly from any insurance company licensed in California.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.