Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Moved From Texas Without Insurance?

By on | No Comments

Question: I moved from Texas to California in September. I was told that I could not buy from Covered California because I did not have health insurance in Texas. Can I apply now?

Answer: Yes. You can buy health insurance now during open enrollment, either through Covered California or direct from one of the insurance companies. You were previously denied by a new ACA rule regarding permanent out-of-state moves outside open enrollment periods. Starting July 11, 2016, if you move you will be eligible for a special enrollment period only if you had previously been enrolled in other coverage. The new rule is that you must have been enrolled in minimum essential coverage (such as a job-based plan, Marketplace plan, or Medicaid) for at least 1 day in the 60 days preceding the date of the permanent move in order to qualify for the permanent move special enrollment period.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.