Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Repay Subsidy if Income Dropped Under 100% FPL?

By on | No Comments

Question: I received financial assistance from #CoveredCalifornia in 2016. In October of this year, I lost my job and my total income for this year ended up being just under 100% of the federal poverty level. Will I have to repay the premium tax credits that reduced my premiums all year?

Answer: No, there is a special rule to protect people in your circumstance. If Covered California found you were eligible for premium tax credits at the time you enrolled and if your income later fell below the poverty level, you are still eligible for the tax credits you received last year. You will not be required to repay the premium tax credit when you file your tax return. To benefit from this special rule, advanced premium tax credit must have been authorized and paid for one month or more during the year.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.