Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Unemployed Adult Living w/ Parents?

By on | 3 Comments

Question: I am 25-years-old, have no health insurance, am unemployed, and currently live with my parents. I have no income and so I don't personally file income tax, but my parents have been kind enough to cover my limited expenses. I am a student enrolled half-time at a nearby community college and I am currently in the process of preparing all the things required to enroll into a nursing program for an ADN. One requirement is for proof of health insurance and so I will need to apply for a plan. I am not enrolled under one of my parent's plans due to them being cost prohibitive. My question then is what are my options? What course of action may prove best for me?

Answer: You are eligible for Medi-Cal. You can sign up now through Covered california and be covered immediately. Medi-Cal enrollment will satisfy your nursing program requirement.


How do I apply if the application asks for total household income when I live with my parents? My income is -0- on my own. Do I apply on my own and enter -0- in the income portion?

Dan, you can apply through Covered California as a 1-person household even if you live with your parents and they claim you as a dependent for tax purposes. Your eligibility for Covered California will be based on your salary alone. If your parents are in Covered California too, they must remove you from their household.

I (original poster) am in the process of applying. When applying do I have to apply along with the rest of my family, even if they are not interested in receiving coverage (myself, my parents and my grandmother) or can I apply as a household of one, although with no income?. I do know my parent’s counted me (and my grandmother) as a dependent in their prior taxes.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.