Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Temporary Visa Buy Health Insurance?

By on | No Comments

Question: Do people holding temporary visas like H-1 and student visas have to buy health insurance or be penalized?

Answer: All “lawfully present” individuals in the United States must have health insurance or pay a penalty unless exempt. Lawfully present includes temporary US residents holding worker visas and student visas. The IRS grants exemptions from penalty if the income is below the minimum tax filing threshold also if minimum essential coverage is unaffordable.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.