Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Tax Dependent Apply Separately?

By on | No Comments

Question: I believe I would be eligible for Medi-Cal and so I plan to apply through Covered California. When applying, can I/do I apply for myself separately or do I need to apply along with the rest of my family? I currently live with my parents, who report me as a dependent. I am a 22 years old recent graduate, I am currently unemployed but looking for work. I am not covered under my parent's health plans because of the cost.

Answer: You are eligible for Medi-Cal. Apply through Covered California for yourself alone. You will have to promise to file a tax return in 2017. When you do file your tax return for 2017, you need to check a box on your own tax return to report that you can be claimed as a dependent on somebody else's tax return. Your parents can continue to claim you as a dependent until you earn more than half of your total support for the year or reach age 24.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.