Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Adult Child Tax Status?

By on | No Comments

Question: I heard is you cannot include your child under age 26 in your Covered CA application unless he/she is your dependent on your tax or by court order. Is this correct? I thought a child is allowed to stay under his/her parents' plan until 26?

Answer: You are confusing two different ACA guidelines. (1) The ACA has ruled that you can include adult children to age 26 on your family health insurance coverage. This rule has nothing to do with tax status. Your adult child may be financially independent and pay their own taxes. (2) If you are seeking premium assistance for your family through Covered California and wish to include a child under age 26 as part of your household, that child must be a income tax dependent.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.