Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Student Visas, Can We Get Covered CA?

By on | No Comments

Question: I have lived in CA with student visa (F1) and earned a small amount a year. I wanted to enroll Covered CA but my case was tranferred to Medi-Cal that I was not qualified because of my visa. How can I enroll Covered CA with a low income?

Answer: H-1B, F-1 and J-1 visa holders who are on work visas, student visas and exchange programs who have been in the country for less than five years are eligible to buy insurance through Covered California or directly from one of the insurance companies in the California individual market. Even if you work and pay taxes in the US, you are not considered a legal resident by the IRS, so you cannot cash in on government programs like Medi-Cal or Obamacare subsidies.


Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.