Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Child in College in Different State?

By on | No Comments

Question: We buy health coverage from Covered California but our son will attend college in Arizona. We want to cover him on our policy. Can we do that?

Answer: Yes, you can. One key consideration, though, will be whether he can access in-network services while he is away at school. In California, only Anthem Blue Cross or Blue Shield of California PPO Plans will give in-network access out-of-state. Both of these carriers offer “Blue Card” benefits outside of California in any state with a Blue Cross Blue Shield Association carrier (36 states including Arizona). To access care, your son would select any BCBS of Arizona provide and his health plan benefits would be the same as if he were in California. All PPO plans also have out-of-network benefits available when in-network providers are not accessible, but the members’ out-of-pocket expenses will be much higher out-of-network.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.