Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Covered California Instead of COBRA?

By on | No Comments

Question: I’m leaving my job and will be eligible for COBRA. Can I shop for coverage and subsidies on the Marketplace instead?

Answer: Yes. Leaving your job and losing eligibility for employer-based health coverage will trigger a special enrollment period (SEP) that lasts for 60 days. You can apply for Covered California health plans and (depending on your income) for premium tax credits (subsidy)and cost sharing reductions during that period. However, if you enroll in COBRA coverage through your former employer beyond the 60-day SEP opportunity, you will need to wait for the next Open Enrollment period to voluntarily cancel COBRA and enroll in a Covered California plan.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.