Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Legal Separation - Effect on Health Ins in CA?

By on | No Comments

Question: My husband and I are now legally separated - he does not have insurance but I do under my employer who does not provide for family ins. Does my husband still have to include my salary to get his own insurance now that we are legally separated?

Answer: If you are legally separated under a final decree of legal separation you are considered single by the IRS and California state law. Therefore, your husband can apply for Covered California based on his income alone. You must both file your 2016 tax return as either single or head of household - not married filing jointly.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.