Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Can Parents Still Claim Dependent Exemption?

By on | 1 Comment

Question: Can I apply by myself for Covered CA even if my parents claimed me as a Dependent? I am 21 and do not live at home with my parents, yet I did not make enough to be independent.

Answer: Yes. Apply as a 1-person household and use your own income projection for 2016. You will have to file a tax return for the 2016 tax year, but you must waive the personal exemption. That way your parents can continue to claim your dependent exemption on their return.

1 Comment

I’m not sure about this answer. It is my understanding that the IRS uses tax filing status to determine household size. If parents claim a child as a dependent, then I don’t think the child is eligible for tax credits. Options would be to buy insurance without tax credits or sign up as household of three and exclude parents from enrollment, but you would need to count all income for determining eligibility.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.