Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Over 65, Never Paid into Medicare?

By on | 3 Comments

Question: I have a special needs brother who just turned 65. He has been getting medical insurance through Medi-Cal, but was told that now he is 65 he can no longer be covered unless he gives up all but $2,000 of his assets. He never paid into social security or medicare. Could you please provide some information on eligibility for those over 65?

Answer: Your brother is eligible for Medicare even though he never paid Medicare taxes. People with less than the requisite 40 credits​ ​must pay the premium for Part A​ - $411/mo​ for those with less than 30 credits. Part B premiums are $122 per month for most people.​ Go to medicare.gov for more infomation.


Barry …

While “you” may never refer people to Medicare.gov, people need to understand that it is the US Government’s official website for Medicare, and is a trusted place for Medicare information. There are sham sites that people looking for information on Medicare may find that end up resulting in the compromise of their personal information, which I’m sure you would not want to happen to anyone.

The Medicare.gov website will provide accurate information concerning the companies offering various plans available to consumers according to their zip code. That’s a starting place. Then a consumer can turn to any of us as licensed agents for direct advice about how to meet their unique needs.

FYI, the use of “Health Plan Advisor” is not approved by the Dept of Insurance..

Just a suggestion when it comes to ANY form of Health Insurance, including Medicare:

I NEVER refer a consumer to Medicare.gov! Unless you know exactly what you are looking for, you could spend days here. Instead, you should advice the consumer to seek out a Health Plan Advisor such as Phip Daigle or me. I specialize in Individual, Family and Medicare Plans. You may reach me at (310) 476-9720.

Your information may be incorrect. Unless your brother is institutionalized, he remains eligible for Medi-Cal without having to deplete his assets. It is true that he must enroll in Medicare, but he is probably going to be entitled to “dual eligible” status — with Medi-Cal possibly covering his Part B premiums and non-Medicare covered expenses. You can contact me for a confidential evaluation of his situation and recommendations.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.