Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

File Taxes with $0 Income?

By on | 1 Comment

Question: When I re-enrolled last November for Covered California I estimated my income about $1500/month (based on my income for the past 10 years). In January 2015, I became unemployed. I forgot to report my income change and been receiving premium assistance and been paying my adjusted premium. Since I had no income in 2015 do I have to file for taxes? Is there a penalty I have to pay since I forgot to report my income change and been receiving premium assistance? Thanks!

Answer: For starters, because you enrolled through Covered California you have to file a tax return for 2015, even if you had no income. With no income in 2015, you were eligible for Medi-Cal, not Covered California. But, since you made no money, there is no taxable income from which the IRS can recover the premium assistance your were given. So you get to skate by this time - no penalty, no tax recovery. Your Covered California coverage will end at the end of 2015 and your Medi-Cal coverage will start January 1st, 2016.

1 Comment

My wife is disabled receiving SSA disability while I am unemployed taking care of her 24/7. My wife is covered by Medical 100% (no share of cost) while I am covered with Anthem Blue Cross Covered California. Should we file income tax in order for me to be eligible by covered California?

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.