Question: My wife just immigrated. Since immigration is a circumstance that allows enrollment outside the normal enrollment period, can I add her to my existing plan?
Answer: Yes, if your spouse is "lawfully present" in the eyes of Covered California you can add her to your Covered California coverage. Lawfully present immigrants include:
- U.S. citizens and U.S. nationals.
- Lawful permanent residents or ("green card holders").
- Lawful temporary residents.
- Persons fleeing persecution, including refugees and asylees.
- Other humanitarian immigrants, including those granted temporary protected status.
- Non-immigrant Status holders (including worker visas and student visas).
Individuals who are not lawfully present are exempt from the requirement to have health insurance. They must apply for an exemption directly with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on their federal income tax return.