Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Expired 60-Day Limit for Special Enrollment

By on | No Comments

Question: We lost our employer coverage June 1 but were out of the country from early May until mid August. Are we just out of luck as far as buying insurance through Covered California until the next open enrollment?

Answer: You are entitled to a special enrollment period of up to 60 days following the termination date of your employer-based coverage. Your SEP expired on August 1st. Your should be able to get covered however. I suggest you contact a Covered California certified agent. The agent will help you request an enrollment "exception" due to the fact that you were out of the country during your SEP.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.