Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Dropping COBRA?

By on | No Comments

Question: My wife's company is going to pay the COBRA premium for six months as part of termination agreement which is very expensive. Can I apply for individual coverage once they stop making our COBRA payments?

Answer: You would not be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period simply because your employer stops paying your COBRA premium. However, you can apply for individual coverage either through Covered California or directly with an insurance carrier during open enrollment starting November 1, 2015 through January 30, 2016. As luck would have it, you should be able to take advantage of the former employer's largess for most, if not all of the 6 months before open enrollment closes.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.