Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Insuring My 19 Year-old?

By on | No Comments

Question: My daughter is 19, a full time student, and lives at home. Do I have to cover her under my plan at work, or can she apply for covered California on her own? Thank you.

Answer: Yes, you are generally required to cover your dependents with your employer-based coverage. There are alternatives for some people: (1) If your household income is low enough (for example, less than $42,000/year for a two-person household), your children would be eligible for Medi-Cal and she can enroll without considering the availability of group coverage through your work. (2) She can also waive coverage on your group plan and enroll in a Covered California, but that would be without premium assistance. (3) Student health plans are viewed as minimum acceptable coverage by the ACA so that could work too.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.