Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Individual vs Agency Rights?

By on | 1 Comment

Question: This question comes up quite a bit especially when there are several agents working under an agency, Can a certified covered ca agent write business under another certified agent log on, using their id and password and pin? Is is ok for the entity business owner to demand an agent to write under to log in so commission's are paid to the Entity? What liable affect can this have on the agent who is write's under the other agent? Especially when all agents signed a contract direct with coveredca?

Answer: If your employer has any sense at all, she told you before you accepted the job that you would not be paid commissions directly from the insurers, but according to some internal compensation plan for your agency. The issue of logging into another agent's Covered California account is not against any Covered California rules that I know of so in my opinion it can be done until someone tests it formally or perhaps legally. The contract you signed with Covered California is not a factor unless you enroll CC applicants through your own broker account.

1 Comment

The way it should be done is as follows:

Anyone who is writing business and consulting individuals about health insurance should be licensed and certified.

if you are working for an agency that is giving you leads and paying for your office space, phone, etc.. you may be required to take a commission split with that agency, BUT it should not be done how it sounds like your agency is doing it.

You should have your own portal with covered ca that has your agencys TAX ID number listed. You should write business under your portal. When commissions come in they will be paid to the agency, but they are under your portal. This way, you can track your clients better, and you know exactly who came from you. Hope this helps

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.