Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Use Open Enrollment to Get Off Group Plan?

By on | 2 Comments

Question: I currently have my children covered under my employers group plan. Our group plan open enrollment is now. I have been told that if I add my children now, I can't remove them on 1/1/15 to go to individual plans. Is individual open enrollment a qualifying event?

Answer: Once enrolled in a group plan your cannot voluntarily drop your coverage without a qualifying event but you can drop coverage for your dependents anytime, no qualifying event required. There is no need to wait for open enrollment. Your children are not eligible for premium assistance (subsidy) because they are offered group coverage through your employer. You can purchase off-exchange individual coverage for them, or they may be eligible for Medi-Cal.


I’m a grad student whose t insurance coverage thru my school ended 9/5/14. Since I had no income when I went on Covered CA website I was put on Medi-Cal. I now have an income of $55k/yr effective 9/8/14 but don’t get my first paycheck til 10/2/14.I tried to change on Covered CA but couldn’t report an income for Sept. I would prefer to buy a plan NOW both since I assume my income disqualifies me from Medi-Cal & because I would like a choice of physicians. Can I ignore the website & just buy a plan?

My Californina employer has been telling me I have to have legal documentation to remove my non-working, separated husband off my health insurance. They are taking over $500 each month out of my paycheck for this in which I can not afford. I may soon be homeless over this. Much less have to pay a $450 filing fee for divorce/separation.

You are saying above you do not need to wait for open enrollment. I need help Phil!

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.