Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Subsidy Change?

By on | 2 Comments

Question: I qualified for a Covered Cal subsidy based on my estimated 2013 income. Due to higher than estimated investment income my tax filed 2013 income exceeded the subsidy qualification limit. However, my 2014 income will be considerably lower and under the subsidy qualification limit. Do I need to stop the subsidy due to the filed 2013 income?

Answer: No. Your 2013 income is not a factor at this point. If you still expect your 2014 income to be reasonably close to the estimate you used on your application, there is no need to make any changes now. Remember, your advanced tax credits (subsidy) will be reconciled with your actual tax due when you file your tax return for 2014.


I am a Certified Agent with Covered CA and moved all of my Small Group Employer Plans over to SHOP. We are supposed to be paid commissions on a monthly basis and we have not seen a PENNY since the effective date of January 1st. We were finally promised to be paid “early April” which never happened, then we received an email saying we would be paid “on or before May 31st”. It’s not June 8th and NOTHING! No communication whatsoever. When I call SHOP to ask what is going on and to verify a check has been sent to me, they don’t have any confirmations and just say they don’t know. Can we please bring some attention to this matter! We are missing thousands of $$$$$$!!!

In reality, a person’s 2013 income was NEVER a factor in obtaining 2014 premium tax credits.

And a person who obtains advance premium tax credits in 2014 (or any future year) but does not file a tax return for that tax-year will be in BIG TROUBLE with the IRS.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.