Question: Back in December, I applied for an off-exchange Blue Shield plan because our household income was well over the income range for subsidies. But now we definitely are eligible for a subsidy, because my husband just lost his job a few days ago. Can I still apply through Covered California.
Answer: Yes. A change of income that affects your eligibility for a subsidy is considered a qualifying event that make you eligible for a special enrollment period of 60 days from the date of the change - in this case his employment termination date. Here is a list of other qualifying events:
- Getting married
- Gaining a dependent or becoming a dependent through marriage, birth, adoption, or placement for adoption
- Permanently moving to a new area that has different health plan options
- Losing other healthcare coverage that is considered minimum essential coverage.
- A change in income that would affect an enrollee’s eligibility for financial assistance
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- As a result of an error, misrepresentation, or inaction by a QHP or agent