Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Mixed Immigration Status?

By on | No Comments

Question: Husband stays in CA with a valid working visa. Wife and a child currently live in outside of the US and do not hold any valid US visa. They are going to come to the US with valid visa later this year. Can the husband apply for CoveredCA at this time? If so, should he apply as "single" or "married"? Should the income be calculated as 1 household or family of 3

Answer: The husband should apply as a 1-person household. His wife and children are not part of the household at this time. When they arrive in the US with legal residence status, he should change his application to reflect the new household status.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.