Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Live in CA 3 Months a Year. Eligible for Subsidy?

By on | No Comments

Question: If someone has dual citizenship and lives in the United States for 3 months out of the year, are they exempt from the Individual Mandate? If they would like Covered CA insurance for those 3 months, how would that work? I was told that if they have MEC outside the US then they are exempt from the mandate, but as far as applying for coverage with premium assistance, that seems a little confusing. Does filing taxes play a role?

Answer: You are not considered a California resident if you live in the state less than 6 months a year. Therefore you would not be eligible for Covered California coverage with or without a subsidy for the time that you are in the state. An American citizen who lives outside the country is exempt from the individual mandate, however.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.