Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

How to Calculate Domestic Partners' Income?

By on | 2 Comments

Question: How are they going to calculate the income for domestic partners? I understand if people are married, it’s going to be both salaries. But if you are not - like, we are in a domestic partnership - then how are they going to calculate this?

Answer: Usually, if you file taxes together, you shop for insurance together. Since California does not recognize domestic partnerships for opposite-sex partners (unless over the age of 62), each can apply on the exchange as an individual. Whether one or both partners qualifies for a subsidy, depends on his or her income alone.


I’m in a registered domestic partnership (same sex)and my partner gets insurance through his employer. I am also getting it through his since I am his domestic partner, but it costs me a fortune between the premium I have to pay and the extra taxes because we are not married (my insurance is considered extra income for him). I enrolled in covered California (haven’t chosen my plan yet) but he will continue to get insurance through his employer. Is there anyway around having his income considered toward my insurance, other than dissolving our domestic partnership? He makes a lot more than I do (59,920 vs 24,960)and I did not work the entire year. When I filled out the application I did put what my income would be for an entire year. I appreciate any assistance that can be offered.

I’m little confused about Covered California enrollment. I’m currently enrolled in Medi-cal. Depend on Federal Poverty limit, I’m still qualifying for Medi-cal. Do I have to re-enroll Medi-cal through Covered California even though I’m currently having Medi-cal? Or no action requires?

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.