Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Dependent in Another State?

By on | No Comments

Question: Parents with dependent. Parents claim on taxes. Dependent is 23 and out of state. How to handle this? Insurance where parents are or kid? Separate? State or fed program?

Answer: As mentioned before, Covered California has yet to publish comprehensive guidelines for “household” determinations, but I’ll go out on a limb for you. If your “kid” is a full-time resident of another state, he or she may apply that for state’s exchange coverage and be eligible for premium assistance. You would not count this kid as part of the household in California regardless of tax status. Your kid must be a full time student or disabled to be claimed as a dependent over age 18 and that expires in the year he or she turns 24.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.