Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Can Group Dependents be Subsidized?

By on | 1 Comment

Question: Are small & large employers required to offer coverage to dependent children under 21? I know they don’t have to offer to spouses so they could go to the exchange, but if they are required to offer to dependent children then that could mean alot of children who’s household incomes above 250% could be with out coverage since they would not be eligible for tax credits on the Covered California Exhchange, therefore the parents may still not be able to afford coverage for their children.

Answer: Neither small nor large employer-sponsored groups are “required” to offer coverage to dependent children, but currently all small groups in California do and most large groups do as well. The same is true of spouses. And, yes, since spouse and dependent coverage is “offered”, even without an employer contribution, the family is not eligible for premium assistance in the exchange. This is an IRA ruling not a Covered California decision.

1 Comment

This contradicts your answer from a question you answered in August:

Answer: Employers with 50 or more employees are required to offer coverage to full-time employees and dependent children up to age 26. They are not required to offer coverage to spouses. So, if that is the case, your spouse could get Covered California and if your household income (MAGI) is under 400% FPL, she will be eligible for subsidized coverage. Your children on the other hand will not be eligible as they have access to employer-based coverage even if they are is not enrolled.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.