Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Licensed Staff Certification

By on | 1 Comment

Question: As a broker who has 5 licensed support staff members, will they have to be Certified to help our current clients or prospective new clients with enrollment in to the Exchange or SHOP?

Answer: Yes, if licensed staff actually enroll people in Covered California they must be certified. No, if they only provide assistance and the Certified Agent does the “enrolling”.

1 Comment

Only individual agents may submit enrollments through the Exchange. An agency with multiple agents or endorsed agents cannot submit applications through the Exchange. Obviously, commissions are an internal discussion in an agency, and since no agent is being compensated for enrollments through the Exchange it probably doesn’t matter whose name is on an application submitted through the Exchange. But it could create some technical problems for individual agents and insurance companies, in terms of recordkeeping.

It is probably best that each individual agent who expects to submit one or more applications through the Exchange be certified, because an agent who is not certified and who submits an application through the Exchange will have that application rejected. If this happens late in the year, it could expose a consumer to not having coverage on January 1, 2014.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.