Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Tax Credits with Retirement Coverage

By on | No Comments

Question: My wife will retire in Dec. ‘13 and her employer will pay $100 of a $940 premium for both of us. Would we still qualify for Covered California as an alternative and/or would we qualify for a tax credit? We will both be 62 and our combined income will be $57K.

Answer: It depends. If you will be buying individual coverage and your employer simply give you $100 per month toward the premium, then you would eligible for a tax credit. However, if you still have access to group health insurance after your retirement, you could be ineligible for tax credits, If your contribution to the “employee only” premium is less than $5,415 annually ($57,000 x 9.5%) you will not qualify for a subsidy.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.