Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

I'm under 26 and "independent", can I get a subsidy?

By on | No Comments

Question: I know that children under 26 don’t have to be dependent on their parents to be covered on a parent’s plan due to Obamacare. But what about children that are independent from their parents? Can they get subsidized exchange coverage even if their parent can cover them through their work?

Answer: Yes you may be eligible for subsidized coverage in Covered California if your parents do not claim you as a dependent on their federal tax return. That’s how the exchange guidelines define “independent”.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.