Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Employer Coverage "Unaffordable"?

By on | No Comments

Question: I currently have an employer insurance policy which I pay half of the premium over 500. I would like to shop the exchange for something I like better plus be able to take advantage of the subsidies. Can I apply for a plan under Covered California while my other policy is still in effect? I do not want to have a lapse in coverage.

Answer: Yes. You can enroll in a Covered California individual plan as early as October 1, 2013. However, your coverage won’t start until January 1, 2014. You can drop your employer-based coverage at that point if it is considered “unaffordable” - that is more than 9.5% of your income. If you are paying $500 per month for your share of individual coverage. Your annual income would have to be no more that $63,158 for your $500 contribution to be deemed unaffordable.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.