Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Special Enrollment by Qualifying Event

By on | No Comments

Question: If i lose my job outside of open enrollment, is that a qualifying event allowing me access to coverage? And more importantly, since i will then have zero income does that mean i dont qualify for a subsidy and must be placed in Medi-cal?

Answer: Loss of employment would qualify you for a special enrollment at any time outside of the annual open enrollment period if your health care coverage was employer sponsored. You could then be eligible for Medi-Cal during your period of unemployment. If your income increased for any reason it would be your responsibility to self-report this to the Exchange for reevaluation of your status.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.