Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Living Abroad Exemption

By on | 3 Comments

Question: I am a US citizen but live most of the year abroad. I have an international insurance plan. Will I have to enroll in an exchange plan even though I live abroad most of the year? If not,when I return permanently at some point will that be a qualifying event to obtain a Covered CA plan?

Answer: Californians living abroad are exempt from the mandate to purchase health insurance. When you return permanently that will qualify you for a special enrollment (outside the open enrollment period).


Hi Eric, Covered California is not the answer for your short-term health insurance needs while in California. I suggest you purchase International Travel Insurance. Use this ling to shop and compare plans >http://www.imglobal.com/insurance_plans.cfm?imgac=18145

Dear Phil Daigle,

I had a question that I was wondering if you could assist me with. I live and work in South Korea most of the year. I have some insurance that is offered through my company, but it does not carry-over when I am in the States. However, I come back to the States for about a month or more a year. I was wondering if I could enroll in Covered California, so that I would be eligible to receive health insurance while I am staying in the States even though it is only for a short period of time? How should I go about this? Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

I have a friend who lives and works in Japan most of the year, but comes home for three months each year. She has health insurance through her work in Japan that does not travel with her here, can she qualify for Covered California Insurance. Also, do to her expat status her taxable income only shows up as less then $10,000 per year. Thank you.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.