Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

New Permanent Residents Qualify?

By on | 1 Comment

Question: My parents currently live in the United Kingdom, but at some stage I may petition them to move to the states when I become a US citizen. If they become legal permanent residents, will they be eligible to purchase insurance through the exchange - or is there a set time period before they could do so?

Answer: Yes. You parents will qualify for coverage in the exchange when they have permanent residence status. I don’t know of a waiting period, but then the law is over 2000 pages so I could be wrong.

1 Comment

Legal immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid benefits during their first five years in the United States, but those who would have qualified for the program if they were there long enough will be able to receieve government financial assistance if they want to buy insurance through the exchange while they wait to get Medicaid.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.