Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Can Insurance Agents Help Get Subsidies?

By on | No Comments

Question: I noted a section that said something like “you can only be eligible for subsidies if you buy your policy through the exchange”. Does this mean that if I use an independent insurance agent to purchase my policy (through the exchange, presumably), I would not be eligible for subsidies, i.e. that I must personally apply through the web site in order to be eligible ?

Answer: Only the Covered California Exchange can approve your application for an advanced tax credit subsidy. If your agent is certified with the exchange, he or she can help you submit your application to the Exchange either as an online application, a telephone application, or a paper application. Your exchange certified agent will have a unique identification number connected to your application that will allow them to perform some application tasks on your behalf.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.