Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Qualifying Event: Loss of Coverage

By on | No Comments

Question: My husband voluntarily left his job and was offered COBRA for both of us. I am employed by a different company and now want to apply for their health insurance, when do I qualify for coverage. Do I have to wait until the Cobra enrollment period (65 days) runs out?

Answer: Your loss of health insurance due to your husband’s termination of employment is considered a “qualifying event” which allows you to join your own employer’s group health plan on the first of the month after loss of your husband’s coverage. COBRA is an option for people who do not have another employer-sposored option as you do.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.