Speak with a Covered California certified agent! Call (888) 413-3164 or Shop Online Now

Shop and Compare

California Health Insurance Plans and Rates

It's easy. Just enter your zip code.

Covered California Q&A

Covered California and Obamacare related questions from consumers, employers and agents are answered by Phil Daigle with the best information available at the time. Archived entries may no longer be accurate as the Covered California and Obamacare knowledge-base is evolving quickly. TO REQUEST A PERSONAL RESPONSE INCLUDE EMAIL ADDRESS.

Turning 65 While on Spouse's Insurance

By on | No Comments

Question: I am turning 65 and work half-time. I am not eligible for health benefits, so I am on my wife’s policy. It is at a state university and it is through Anthem. Will I be able to continue on her policy, or will Anthem kick me out?

Answer: When you turn 65 you have health insurance available. It’s called Medicare. Your wife’s employer is no longer obliged to offer you coverage as a dependent on her employer-sponsored policy. Medicare is excellent coverage and it’s available to you for less than $100 per month. Anthem will not “kick you out” because they collect a nice piece of change from your wife’s employer as long as you remain on the group plan. Do the right thing and opt for Medicare.

Leave a comment

Do You Have California Health Insurance Questions?

Ask An Expert

View Previous Questions
Call Us at (888) 413-3164

© 2022 California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC
Home / About / Start Shopping / Ask a Question

“Covered California,” “California Health Benefit Exchange”, and the Covered California Logo are registered trademarks or service marks of Covered California, in the United States. This web site is owned and maintained by California Health Benefit Advisers, LLC, which is solely responsible for its content.