Question: I understand most of the exemptions from the Individual mandates but need clarification on these. Individuals who cannot afford coverage (i.e. required contribution exceeds 8% of household income,) Individual in a hardship situation, and individual with income below the tax filing threshold threshold.
Answer: Here is the list of exemptions from the individual mandate:
- coverage is unaffordable (excedes 9.5% of household income;
- they do not meet the filing threshold for purposes of income tax filing;
- they are Native Americans;
- they have a short lapse in coverage (less than three months since they had minimum essential coverage);
- they have suffered a hardship;
- they are a dependent; or
- they reside outside of the United States.